“We’re Off to See the Wizard!” Audition Song Suggestions for The Wizard of Oz
Written by Tiffany Wilkie
May 24, 2018
If you’ve got an audition for The Wizard of Oz coming up soon, you’ll want to check out these audition song suggestions and audition cuts from our library! And break a leg! (These suggestions are for the R.S.C. 1987 version.)
1. Auditioning for Dorothy (Mezzo/Soprano)
The pretty young heroine, she is transported to Oz from her home in Kansas. Initially dreams of leaving her dull Kansas life, but discovers that home is where her heart is.
1. “Might As Well Be Spring” from State Fair
2. “Far From the Home I Love” from Fiddler on the Roof
Auditioning for Glinda/Auntie EM (Soprano)
The Good Witch of the North. Beautiful and graceful. Both ethereal and somewhat whimsical, she helps guide Dorothy once she lands in Oz.
3. “A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes” from Cinderella
4. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Carousel
Auditioning for Scarecrow/Hunk (Baritone/Tenor)
A corn field fixture who joins Dorothy to get a brain from the Wizard. Kind and clumsy, he realizes that a new hat is all he needs to unlock the potential of his brain.
5. “Where Was I When They Passed Out Luck?” from Minnie’s Boys
6. “Once in Love With Amy” from Where’s Charlie
Auditioning for the Tin Man (Baritone/Tenor)
A very mechanical man who believes he doesn’t have a heart. Joins Dorothy on her quest. Wide-eyed and gentle, but moves like a robot.
7. “Alone in the Universe” from Seussical
Auditioning for the Cowardly Lion (Baritone/Tenor)
A beast of the forest, venturing to Oz to get courage from the Wizard. He is frightened of everything, and his terror and subsequent sadness is extremely over-the-top. By the end, he is able to find his confidence.
8. “I’m Calm” from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
9. “Dear Old Syracuse” from The Boys from Syracuse
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Far Out! Audition Song Suggestions for Little Shop of Horrors
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
Tiffany Weagly-Wilkie is the Director of Theatricals for PerformerStuff.com. She also serves as the Casting Director for The Imagination House.
Thumbnail image copyright Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The Wizard of Oz.