“Run and Tell That!” Audition Song Recommendations for Hairspray
Written by Tiffany Wilkie
June 12, 2018
If you’re auditioning for Hairspray soon, check out these audition numbers perfect for every role!
Auditioning for Tracey (Mezzo)
Our story’s unsuspecting protagonist, she is large and in charge. Confident, talented, and incredibly determined. A romantic with a good heart and desire to cut up the dance floor. Always on top of the latest trends.
1. “Not for the Life of Me” from Thoroughly Modern Millie
2. “Pretty Funny” from Dogfight
3. “Fly, Fly Away” from Catch Me if You Can
Auditioning for Corny Collins (Tenor)
The charismatic host of the Corny Collins’ Show. Good looking and smooth talking, he is a genuinely nice guy both on and off camera.
4. “Music of My Soul” from Memphis
5. “Cry for Me” from Jersey Boys
Auditioning for Edna Turnblad (Tenor)
Tracy’s big and blonde mother. She is a working housewife who has lost her confidence and dream to be a plus-size clothing designer. Boisterous and commanding. Played by a male in drag.
6. “Big Girls Don”t Cry” from Jersey Boys
7. “Talent” from Ruthless
Auditioning for Penny Pingleton (Mezzo)
Tracy’s best friend and dorky sidekick. Not the brightest girl, but she has good intentions. Bursting to get free of her mother’s dominating control, she falls for Seaweed with childlike curiosity.
8. “When He Sees Me” from Waitress
9. “Suddenly Seymour” from Little Shop of Horrors
10. “The Life I Never Led” from Sister Act
Auditioning for Velma Von Tussle (Alto)
Amber’s mother and the director of Corny Collins’ show. She is a devious taskmaster and snobby racist. The former Miss Baltimore Crabs will go to any length to ensure her daughter is the next big thing.
11. “I Want the Good Times Back” from The Little Mermaid
12. “Whatever Lola Wants” from Damn Yankees
Auditioning for Amber Von Tussle (Mezzo)
Link’s girlfriend and Tracy’s nemesis. She is pretty, thin, shallow, snobby, and racist. Can’t dance but is expected to win Miss Baltimore Hairspray. Always feels the need to be the center of attention.
13. “Killer Instinct” from Bring it On
14. “My Strongest Suit” from Aida
Auditioning for Link Larkin (Baritone)
The star heartthrob on Corny Collins’ show. He is extremely attractive and talented. Hoping to get his big break with a recording contract, he unexpectedly falls for Tracy.
15. “I Chose Right” from Baby
16. “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” from Jersey Boys
Auditioning for Seaweed J. Stubbs (Tenor)
Tracy’s classmate and friend, who is discriminated against due to his skin color. He is cocky but surprisingly lovable. Talented in song and dance. He falls for Penny.
17. “Let it Sing” from Violet
18. “You Can”t Win” from The Wiz
Auditioning for Little Inez (Mezzo)
19. “Ain’t Nothin’ But a Kiss” from Memphis
20. “Mama Said” by The Shirelles
Auditioning for Motormouth Maybelle (Alto)
Seaweed and Little Inez’s mother, she also appears as the Guest DJ on the Corny Collin’s Negro Day show. Big, blonde, beautiful and proud of it. She is sassy and confident.
21. “Easy to Be Hard” from Hair
Auditioning for Wilbur Turnblad (Baritone)
Tracy’s simpleminded and kind father. He owns a joke shop and supports his daughter in spite of everything else. He also loves his wife, Edna, very much.
22. “Mr. Cellophane” from Chicago
Auditioning for Prudy Pingleton (Mezzo)
Penny’s strict mother. Very conservative, controlling, and closed minded.
23. “Never Get Married” from Honeymoon in Vegas
Auditioning for The Corny Collins Kids, Students, Protestors (Various Ranges)
24. “Up the Ladder to the Roof” by the Supremes
25. “I Can”t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)” by Four Tops
26. “Freddy, My Love” from Grease
27. “Alone at the Drive-In Theater” from Grease
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age