Audition Song Suggestions for The Last Five Years the Musical – By Character
Written by Leryn Turlington
August 22, 2020
Don’t let ‘The Next Ten Minutes’ go by without using this guide to prepare your musical theatre audition for The Last Five Years! Let Performer Stuff’s expert musical theatre audition song coaches find your perfect audition song for Jason Robert Brown’s two-person masterpiece The Last Five Years! Our recommendations come with links to purchase sheet music or an audition cut found on PerformerStuff.com. For further study, we provide links to listen to audition songs on both Youtube and a Spotify playlist. Break a leg with your audition for The Last Five Years. Be sure to let us know if the audition song worked for you!
Audition song suggestions for the character Cathy Hiatt (mezzo)
Catherine Hiatt is an aspiring actor from a small town whose exhausting career choice is only made more so by her husband’s sudden rise to fame as an author. Though he was once deeply infatuated and in love, he seems to leave her behind. They are unable to find common ground until he suddenly decides to leave her. Cathy’s point of view is anachronistic, so we meet her first at the end of her and Jamie’s relationship. Because this is a two-person play, this actor must have energy, resilience, and vocal stamina.
“Anywhere But Here” from Honeymoon in Vegas
“Come to Your Senses” from Tick.. tick.. BOOM!
“Don’t Wanna Be Here” from Ordinary Days
“Hand in Hand” by Kerrigan and Lowdermilk
Audition song suggestions for the character Jamie Wellerstein (tenor)
At the top of the play, Jamie is an aspiring writer who is elated to meet Cathy, an aspiring actor, whose goyishness is a charming relief after many unsuccessful dates within the Jewish community. After his novel is published, he slowly climbs a ladder of literary success beyond the reach of Cathy, now his wife. Eventually, his selfishness and emotional distance creates major problems for their marriage. Because the two are only on stage together for one song, this actor must be capable of carrying a show and keeping the action of the song when it is directed to an absent listener.
“Marry Me A Little” from Company
“If I Had You” from Hit List
“Time Stops” from Big Fish
“Live in Living Color” from Catch Me If You Can
Listen to a Spotify playlist of audition songs for the musical The Last Five Years here:
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age