What Actors are Really Thinking During a Show
Written by Zachary Rivera
March 1, 2018
If you’re an actor, you know.
1. When they slay a high note
You know the feeling. You just belted the show-stopping note, and when you walk offstage you feel like you can do ANYTHING.
2. When they think their costume might’ve ripped
Terrifying. That’s all that needs to be said.
3. When they forget a line
Another terrifying feeling for an actor. Forgetting a line is an earth-shattering event every actor knows, and nobody wants to experience.
4. When they think the director is watching
You look out into the audience, and you lock eyes with them. The director. Did they just see that stumble? Do they like the choice you made? Who knows, but they are always watching!
5. When they hear an audience member laugh at a joke they say
They may be someone you’ve never met, but the joke you made and the laugh they had connected you. You feel like the coolest person on stage!
6. Before they make their entrance
It’s something that makes every actor a little nervous: Making their first entrance. It’s exciting, nerve-wracking, and scary (in a good way)!
7. When they’re running late during their quick change
YOU HAVE 30 MORE SECONDS GO GO GO!
8. When they take their bow
It’s happy and everyone is feeling great, but you can’t deny it. You’re tired. You just danced your butt off, and the show is over. It’s time to SLEEP.
9. When they see their family in the audience
Say hi! They’re the ones taking pictures and pointing at you!
10. When the show closes
It’s a confusing time. You’re tired so you like the rest, but you’re sad because the show is over. Either way, it’s time to get cracking on the next one!
Like articles like this? Check out more below!
- 11 Things You’ve Experienced Being in the Ensemble
- 12 Times Broadway Soundtracks Made Us Cry Ugly Tears
- 10 Star Wars Roles We Wish We Could Play
- 10 Broadway Couples We Ship for Valentine’s Day
- Theatre Pickup Lines We’re DYING Over
- 10 Times Patti LuPone Totally Got You
- Statements That Make Theatre Kids Cringe
- 10 Experiences Actors Have (That May Baffle Non-Actors)
- Ten Scariest Broadway Villains
- The 15 Worst Kinds of Theatre People
- The Ten Commandments for Actors
- You Might Be a Theatre Kid If…