The Best Audition Suggestions for Seussical the Musical – by Character
Written by Tiffany Wilkie
August 20, 2020
“Oh, the Thinks You Can Think” when you let Performer Stuff’s expert musical theatre audition song coaches find your perfect audition song for the musical theatre sensation Seussical. Our recommendations come with links to purchase sheet music or an audition cut found on PerformerStuff.com. For further study, we provide links to listen to audition songs on both Youtube and a Spotify playlist. Break a leg with your audition for Seussical the musical. Be sure to let us know if the audition song worked for you!
Auditioning for the Cat in the Hat (All Vocal Types)
Our story’s omniscient narrator, he is fun loving and enjoys rhyming. Pops up throughout the story to help the audience. Wise and attentive.
“Pure Imagination” from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
“All for the Best” from Godspell
Auditioning for Jojo (Tenor)
The Mayor’s son, he is a Who that is always finding trouble. Bright, creative, and inadvertently mischievous. Possesses a wildly expansive imagination and finds solace in his friendship with Horton.
“Different” from Honk
“Bruce” from Matilda
Auditioning for Horton The Elephant (Tenor)
Our story’s main character, he is a compassionate and gentle elephant. Commonly misunderstood because of his larger size. He is protective and loving of all creatures in the jungle.
“Larger Than Life” from My Favorite Year
“Beautiful City” from Godspell
Auditioning for Gertrude McFuzz (Soprano)
Horton’s one-feathered-tail bird neighbor. Gertrude is sweet and timid. Though kind and loyal, she is also self-conscious of her shortfalls.
“Come Down From the Tree” from Once on this Island
“Times Like This” from Lucky Stiff
Auditioning for Mayzie LaBird (Mezzo-Soprano)
The most beautiful bird in all of the jungle. Oblivious to her self-centered ways, she relies on her talent of manipulation, and intoxicating beauty, to navigate her way through life.
“My Strongest Suit” from Aida
“Here I Am” from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Auditioning for The Sour Kangaroo
The ‘leader’ of the jungle. She is loud, brassy, and stubbornly set in her ways. A caring mother, but unabashedly sassy and soulful.
“Ain’t Nothin’ But A Kiss” from Memphis
“Random Black Girl” from Homemade Fusion
Audition song suggestions for the Ensemble Characters (all vocal types)
Jungle Creatures (The Wickersham Brothers, Yurtle The Turtle, Bird Girls); The Whos (Mr. Mayor, Mrs. Mayor, General Genghis Khan Schmitz)
Audition song suggestions for a Soprano:
“Almost There” from The Princess Frog
“Morning Person” from Shrek
Audition songs for Mezzo-Soprano
“Two Men In My Life” from Big Fish
“Back to Before” from Ragtime
Audition song suggestions for a Tenor:
“Giants in the Sky” from Into the Woods
“Out There” from The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Audition song suggestions for a Baritone:
“Kids!” from Bye Bye Birdie
“A Wonderful Day Like Today” from The Roar Of The Greasepaint, The Smell Of The Crowd
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age