The Best Audition Song Suggestions for Guys and Dolls by Character
Written by: Nicole Gibson
March 10th, 2020
“Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat!” Do you have an audition for Guys and Dolls coming up and you’re not sure what to sing? Look no further and view these expertly picked song suggestions.
Auditioning for Nicely-Nicely Johnson (Tenor)
A well-known gambler who has a cheerful personality and the nicest of the crooks. Even though he is “out there” and naive sometimes, he is a very loyal friend to Nathan.
“I’m Calm” from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
“Dames” from 42nd Street
Auditioning for Sky Masterson (Baritone)
The guy who finds luck at every turn. Charming, smart, and good-looking, he throws himself in for a spin when he surprisingly falls in love.
“Gypsy in Me” from Anything Goes
“All I Need Is The Girl” from Gypsy
Auditioning for Sarah Brown (Soprano)
An attractive and keen woman who takes on the role of the Local Mission Sargeant. She embarks on a mission to transform the gamblers into manly men. The object of Sky’s affections, he helps her get rid of her stiffness and encourages her to let go.
“If I Loved You” from Carousel
“Till There Was You” from The Music Man
Auditioning for Nathan Detroit (Baritone)
Our leading man. A frequent gambler, broke citizen and crapsgame planner with clever ways who is not so lucky. His obsession with gambling puts his relationship with Adelaide at risk.
“Maria” from West Side Story
“Lucky in Love” from Good News
Auditioning for Miss Adelaide (Alto)
The lead dancer at the Hox Box nightclub; she is Nathan’s fiance. Confident, beautiful, and selfish, she loves Nathan more than anything and is impatiently waiting to get married.
“If My Friends Could See Me Now” from Sweet Charity
“Love, Look Away” from Flower Drum Song
Auditioning for Arvide Abernathy (Baritone)
Sarah’s affectionate grandfather who plays both the bass drums and the cymbals in the mission band. Friendly and approachable, he assists Sarah with her life decisions.
“If I Have to Live Alone” from The Baker’s Wife
“I Could Write a Book” from Pal Joey
Auditioning for Harry The Horse (Baritone)
A crook and a gambler, he has money in his eyes. Turns against Nathan with Big Jule for cheating in the crap game, he’s well known in the gambling world.
“If I Were a Rich Man” from Fiddler on the Roof
“Camelot” from Camelot
Auditioning for Benny Southstreet (Baritone)
Also a part of the gambler group, he is Nathan’s sidekick. A quick thinker, sneaky, and always on the go, he knows what Nathan’s best choices are.
“A Wonderful Day Like Today” from The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd
“Some Enchanted Evening” from South Pacific
Audition for Ensemble (All Vocal Types)
The ensemble takes part in the show as sightseers, members of the Mission Band (Agatha, Calvin, Martha), Crap Shooters (Liver Lips Louie, Angie the Ox, Rusty Charlie), Hot Box Girls, Waiters, and Cuban Dancers.
“In My Own Little Corner” from Cinderella
“Out of My Dreams” from Oklahoma!
“Much More” from The Fantasticks
“Mister Snow” from Carousel
“Geraniums in the Winter” from Carousel
“Kansas City” from Oklahoma!
“As Long as He Needs Me” from Oliver!
“Anything But Lonely” from Aspects of Love
“Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’” from Oklahoma!
“It’s a Grand Night for Singing” from State Fair
Listen to a Spotify Playlist of audition songs Guys and Dolls here:
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age