Not Clicking With Your Character? 5 Steps for Connecting to Your Role
Written by Ashleigh Gardner
July 6, 2017
You’ve been cast in your school’s play! You’ve got the script, you’re ready to go, and then…you can’t find a connection to the person you’re playing. What to do next? We’ve got a list of suggestions so you can get on that stage and get into character.
1. Realize that the character you’re playing is a person.
First and foremost, you have to understand that the playwright who wrote your character wrote a person (even though they may be one dimensional…), and it’s your job to see the humanity in the person you’re playing.
2. See yourself in the person you’re playing.
There’s a reason you were cast in the role you have! The director saw a piece of you that they also saw in the character you’re playing, so examine your character and find how they’re similar to you. How would they react to their circumstance? How would you react?
3. See how your character is different from yourself.
After you’ve examined the similarities between you and your character, look at the differences. There are bound to be a few you can find. Once you’ve spotted them, try and find out why your character is so different in those ways. It’ll help you understand them a little better.
4. Understand your character’s motivation.
Everyone does something for a reason. Why do you go to class? Why did you go to that party? Why did you choose to get out of bed today? Seek out why your character does what they do! They have to have a reason, whether it’s because they’re scared, passionate, or curious.
5. Do some character development work.
There are tons of different options when it comes to doing character development work. You can journal, make a music mix, bake food that your character would bake, make a character collage, and more. The possibilities are endless!
Need some advice? We’ve got you covered.
- Don’t Be a Diva: Common Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
- 9 Articles of Clothing Every Thespian Should Keep In Their Wardrobe
- What Makes an Actor Website WOW?
- “Is my attitude not getting me roles?” And Other Essential Questions for Actors
- 6 Steps to Memorizing Shakespeare
- 10 Tricks to Staying Healthy All Season Long
- What Does It Take to Break Into Voiceovers?
- 5 Tips for Nailing Your College Music Theatre Audition
- 10 Tips on Owning the Room at Competition
- How to Balance Theatre and Coursework
- The 10 Secrets of Great Understudying
- 10 Items Every Actor Should Carry in Their Rehearsal Bag
- 10 Items Every Dancer Should Keep in Their Rehearsal Bag