Audition Songs for Bright Star the Musical by Character
Written by: Jocelyn Bertram
April 2, 2020
“Whoa, Mama!” Are you struggling with selecting the perfect song for your upcoming audition for Bright Star? Let us get you started with the suggestions below. Break a leg!
Audition for Alice Murphy (Mezzo/Belter)
At 16: adventurous and untamed, searching for the world beyond her small town.
At 36: professional and intelligent, reserved due to secrets in her past.
“Shine Like The Sun” from Nine to Five
“Everything Changes” from Waitress
Audition for Billy Crane (Tenor)
Aspiring author returning from World War II, optimistic, naive, charming.
“You Matter to Me” from Waitress
“Moving Too Fast” from The Last Five Years
Audition for Margo Crawford (Soprano)
Billy’s childhood sweetheart, kind and supportive.
“A Part of That” from The Last Five Years
“Mary’s Song (Oh My, My, My)” by Taylor Swift
Audition for Jimmy Ray Dobbs (Tenor)
At 18: A bit of a rebel, fighting against standards set by his parents. Charming and passionate.
At 38: The rebellious teen is still there, but now carries a strong sense of responsibility.
“It All Fades Away” from The Bridges of Madison County
“Run Away With Me” from The Mad Ones
Audition for Lucy Grant (Soprano)
Ambitious ‘1940’s Career Woman’. Bold, witty, and intelligent.
“Change It” from Nine to Five
“Another Life” from The Bridges of Madison County
Audition for Mamma Murphy (Mezzo-Soprano)
Alice’s mother. Hardworking, warm and nurturing.
“Lay Down Your Head” from Violet
“I Miss The Mountains” from Next to Normal
Audition for Daddy Murphy (Baritone)
Alice’s father. Proud farmer, devoutly religious and very strict.
“That’s What I Could Do” from Violet
“Something From A Dream” From The Bridges of Madison County
Audition for Mayor Josiah Dobbs (Baritone)
Jimmy Ray’s father. Mayor of Zebulon. Distinguished upperclassman who wants the best for his son by whatever means necessary.
“I’ll Never Pass This Way Again” from Civil War
“Gonna Be Another Hot Day” from 110 In The Shade
Audition for Ensemble (all vocal types)
Ensemble roles with extreme range and skill to fill the environment with various relatives, maids, and townspeople of all social classes. May also understudy leading and supporting roles.
“Dyin’ Ain’t So Bad” from Bonnie and Clyde
“Mine” by Taylor Swift
“Get Out And Stay Out” from Nine to Five
“On My Way” from Violet
“Jolene” by Dolly Parton
“Nothin’ Up” from The Robber Bridegroom
“Temporarily Lost” from The Bridges of Madison County
“Let Love Grow” from Nine to Five
“Mamma Says” from Footloose
“Gold” from Once
Listen to a Spotify playlist of audition songs for Bright Star here:
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- Top Standout Audition Songs for Shrek the Musical
- Fantastic Song Suggestions for The Addams Family Auditions
- Bobby Baby! 16 Musical Theatre Trios for Females
- The Flyin’ Fightin’ Forties: 16 Female Solo Ideas From The WWII Era
- Guys: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 MORE Wow-Able Solos From Broadway’s Golden Age
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age