9 Stages Everyone Goes Through When Listening to Sondheim
Written by Tatiana Rodriguez
September 30, 2017
Stephen Sondheim, god of thespians. Okay, that might be a bit much. But if you know who he is (which you likely do if you’re reading this article) you realize that his influence on the theatrical world has been nothing less than spectacular. He’s been the source of some of the most original and captivating musicals ever witnessed on the Broadway stage. No wonder we needed a separate list just to detail the emotional journey we experience when listening to a classic Sondheim piece.
1) Shhhhhh it’s the overture!!!
2) There are so many great characters, I don’t know which I like best.
3) This song is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of eternity.
4) I can’t believe he really wrote that into a musical.
5) These characters are so real, I totally relate.
6) Why is everything suddenly going wrong.
7) I didn’t think it could get any worse and yet it did.
8) Reprise, reprise, reprise.
9) There isn’t a happy ending and I think I’m okay with that.
Like articles like this? Check out more below!
- 11 Things You’ve Experienced Being in the Ensemble
- 12 Times Broadway Soundtracks Made Us Cry Ugly Tears
- 10 Star Wars Roles We Wish We Could Play
- 10 Broadway Couples We Ship for Valentine’s Day
- Theatre Pickup Lines We’re DYING Over
- 10 Times Patti LuPone Totally Got You
- Statements That Make Theatre Kids Cringe
- 10 Experiences Actors Have (That May Baffle Non-Actors)
- Ten Scariest Broadway Villains
- The 15 Worst Kinds of Theatre People
- The Ten Commandments for Actors
- You Might Be a Theatre Kid If…