Weird Stuff Your Family Says About Your Theatre Degree
Written by Leryn Turlington
January 11, 2017
1. “How did your try-outs go?”
Ahem. Auditions, you mean?
2. “Well, I mean, you can miss rehearsal for this. Those aren’t required anyway, right?”
Yeah, and pigs can fly.
3. “Do you have to be naked for this one?”
Actually a legitimate question.
4. “You’d be perfect for that TV show! Have you auditioned for it?”
You, see, the thing about it is….
5. “Good luck!”
6. “You’re in the industry, can you snag us some tickets to Hamilton?”
7. “Can you come home this weekend?”
Weekend? What weekend?
8. “That was interesting, but you’re going to be more like Kate Winslet right?”
Perhaps devised theatre isn’t for everyone.
9. “When you do this play, are you going to get any of those… what do you call them, Scooby snacks?”
One might say Thespian points are just as tasty and well-earned.
10. “Have you thought about getting some sort of specialized skill?”
Yes, it’s called play analysis, scansion, character development and ballet.