10 of the Best Contemporary Male Audition Cuts
Written by Andrea Canny
November 10, 2016
We chose these particular audition cuts to help men show off their range, vocal quality, acting ability, comedic sensibilities and/or technical ability. These choices set the performer up for a successful audition with songs from these contemporary musicals.
1. “In This Corner” from Kinky Boots
This hot cut from Cindy Lauper’s wild success, Kinky Boots, is a great way to showcase your power on the very top of your tenor range. It also offers an opportunity to show your ability to be in character.
2. “Music of My Soul” from Memphis
This cut gives you the opportunity to showcase your soulful blues stylings while connecting to the lyrics to relay the deep intention of the song.
3. “Fortune Favors the Brave” from Aida
This powerhouse cut has your talent busting straight out of the gate, maintaining an intense pace all the way to your high note at the end.
4. “My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada” from Avenue Q
This Avenue Q favorite offers plenty of opportunity for you to showcase your comedic ability.
5. “King of the World” from Songs For a New World
Jason Robert Brown out-did himself when he wrote this stellar song to showcase masterful high tenors range along with intense emotion.
6. “Out There” from The Hunchback of Notre Dame
This cut gives you the chance to give the auditor chills from your emotion mixed with the luscious melody.
7. “Barrett’s Song” from Titanic
This driving cut showcases your sense of control and your upper range.
8. “I’m Not That Smart” from 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
This is a cut that showcases your ability to navigate difficult rhythms as well as show comedic ability, ending on an impressive long, high note.
9. “Ladies’ Choice” from Hairspray
This cut showcases your ability to tackle lyric-filled fast rhythms.
10. “Left Behind” from Spring Awakening
Show off your ability to tap into deep emotion while showcasing your control in your high range of this beautiful melody.
Looking for more recommendations? We’ll be coming out with these soon!
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Male Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Traditional Female Audition Cuts
- Top 10 Contemporary Male Solos
- Top 10 Contemporary Female Solos
Looking for more material? Check out our other stories below!
- 10 Monologues for Women Who Speak Their Mind
- 10 Female Monologues From Love-Sick Characters
- 10 Monologues from Male Characters: Fathers, Brothers, and Sons
- 10 Monologues for People Who Have a Bone to Pick
- 10 Great Monologues from LGBTQ-Identifying Characters
- 10 Monologues for Characters Who Have Theatre on the Brain
- 10 Male Monologues from Characters Dealing With Death
- Guys: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
- Ladies: 25 Wow-Able Solos from Broadway’s Golden Age
Andrea Canny is a professional entertainer (31 years), writer, director, producer, studio vocalist, vocal performance/cabaret coach, adjudicator as well as cabaret artist who is currently writing a book on integrity in the entertainment business.
Thumbnail: Photo by Lucas Lenzi on Unsplash