6 Ways to Celebrate the Tony Awards at Home
Written by Tatiana Rodriguez
June 5, 2017
The Tony Awards are almost here! In order to make the most your Tony Award experience, why not make it into a celebratory event! Here are six ways you can celebrate the one of a kind musical extravaganza from the comfort of your own home.
1. Tony Awards Bingo
Invite over a group of friends! Make (or simply Google) a 2017 Tony Award Bingo sheet with spots dedicated specifically to what you could see on the Tony Award stage. Some examples might include: a NPH appearance, a Dear Evan Hansen musical reference, or when a celebrity takes a selfie with an audience member. Personalize and stylize your bingo sheet to your liking, perhaps even get a trophy for the winner, and get yourself ready for a night of competition!
2. Musical and Play: Movie Marathon
Get ready for the Tony Awards by watching some of your favorite musicals and plays on the big screen. There have been so many great film adaptations of our beloved Broadway classics. The hardest part about having a marathon, will be narrowing down which movies you get to watch!
3. Broadway Karaoke Night
Itching to belt out some broadway tunes! Throw your own Karaoke night! All you’ll need is some youtube musical instrumentals, a microphone, and perhaps a dance routine or two. Play music from some of the Tony nominations past, as well as new music from shows like Dear Evan Hansen, Natasha Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 , and Groundhog Day.
4. Broadway Themed Dinner
Cook a dinner that’s one of a kind! Use your theatrical muses to make special desserts, snacks, and treats that relate to the Tony nominees. Perhaps make an opera cake, some weather man inspired cookies, or a gingerbread Doll’s house.
5. A Tony Awards Costume Party
Celebrate the Tony Awards in style, because nothing says awards night like dressing up! Have your own pre-show gala, with a bunch of your friends. Dress like your favorite broadway celebrities, or broadway characters. Make the party as fancy or as goofy as you’d like.
6. Live Tweet/Live Blog the Tony Awards Action
Far from home? Away from your theatre friends? Live tweet your reactions to the event! Or create a Tony Awards group chat. That way, you can still keep in touch with the people you want to celebrate with. Just because you’re on different sides of the country, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this historic night with the people you care about.
Want more theatre? We’ve got you covered.
- What Makes an Actor Website WOW?
- “Is my attitude not getting me roles?” And Other Essential Questions for Actors
- 6 Steps to Memorizing Shakespeare
- 10 Tricks to Staying Healthy All Season Long
- What Does It Take to Break Into Voiceovers?
- 5 Tips for Nailing Your College Music Theatre Audition
- 10 Tips on Owning the Room at Competition
- How to Balance Theatre and Coursework
- The 10 Secrets of Great Understudying
- 10 Items Every Actor Should Carry in Their Rehearsal Bag
- 10 Items Every Dancer Should Keep in Their Rehearsal Bag