6 Questions With Kenny, Featuring Kerry Butler
Written by Kenny Howard
May 9, 2017
I first saw Kerry in the original off-Broadway production of Bat Boy (Shelley) and later we had a chance to work on a few readings together, and her heart is as big as her voice.
She earned a Tony nomination in Xanadu (as Clio and Kira) and Broadway roles in Hairspray (Penny Pingleton), Little Shop of Horrors (Audrey), Beauty and the Beast (Belle), Rock of Ages (Sherrie) and Catch Me If You Can (Brenda Strong). Here is how she answered her six questions:
1. When auditioning for roles early in your career, what were some of your “go to” songs and/or monologues?
My main song was “I Just Want to Be a Star” from Nunsense. And my monologue was from Anne Frank. “Look at the stars, Peter…”
2. What is your post show guilty pleasure?
Dark chocolate, and occasionally, an alcoholic beverage.
3. Do you have a regiment of liquids, etc. for your voice during a Broadway run?
Not really. I try not to drink much alcohol, instead lots of Throat Coat tea which is almost as fun! I always spend at least 30 minutes warming up my voice.
4. What is one of the funniest moments that has happened or mis-happened to you on stage?
When I was Belle, I sang “Little Town (Belle’s Song)”, and as I sang that the little village crashed into each other. It was not quiet.
5. What was your worst audition and what happened?
I had to play an instrument, and I had been playing the ukulele for over a year, but for an audience of no one. Well, that’s not true — we would have sing-a-longs with my family. Anyway, I went on this audition and was so nervous to play in front of other people I completely choked!!
6. Are there any particular items or good luck charms that you always bring to put in your dressing room?
No, but I always decorate it with pictures of my family.
Need some advice? We’ve got you covered.
- What Makes an Actor Website WOW?
- “Is my attitude not getting me roles?” And Other Essential Questions for Actors
- 6 Steps to Memorizing Shakespeare
- 10 Tricks to Staying Healthy All Season Long
- What Does It Take to Break Into Voiceovers?
- 5 Tips for Nailing Your College Music Theatre Audition
- 10 Tips on Owning the Room at Competition
- How to Balance Theatre and Coursework
- The 10 Secrets of Great Understudying
- 10 Items Every Actor Should Carry in Their Rehearsal Bag
- 10 Items Every Dancer Should Keep in Their Rehearsal Bag